ORTHODOX-CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH (1826) EAST STREET. Built on
land given by Dr. Wild, on East Street where the Gallo Flower
shop and green-house are located. Rev. Asahel Bigelow installed
as first minister. Here that Dean of church-organists, Joshua
Allen, presided over the organ for nearly 70 years. The clock in
the United Church Tower was removed from this church. The church
was weakened in the 1938 hurricane and was taken down.
This sketch is from The Walpole 250th Anniversary Calendar and was done by H. S. Ross.
Return to Historic Photos Main