Centre School
Front Street
1851


CENTER-DISTRICT SCHOOL HOUSE (1851) FRONT STREET. The first two-story schoolhouse in Walpole, superseding the old schoolhouse on West Street known as the Runnells-Hartshorn house, which the Walpole Historical Commission is trying to save. Here about 1870/1 a High-School class was established. It burned down December 19, 1884. The site now occupied by the parsonage of the United Church which stands on the original granite foundation of the schoolhouse.

This sketch is from The Walpole 250th Anniversary Calendar and was done by H. S. Ross.

 

Return to Historic Photos Main