|Town Meeting Votes to Establish a Public Library
[Annual Town Meeting, Monday, March 13, 1876]
First Annual Report of the Trustees of the Walpole Public Library
[Annual Reports, year ending February 1, 1877]
The Walpole Public Library
by Eleanor M. Harding - [from Ye Sawmill Settlement: a history of Walpole's Government 1724-1974]
Grass roots for library system established in 1816
[Walpole Times, Thursday, April 2, 1964]
Dedication. Walpole's New and Costly Public Library Dedicated with Ceremonies Befitting the Occasion. A Large Attendance
[Walpole Enterprise, Saturday, May 16, 1903]
Walpole Library Opens Branch in East Walpole
[Walpole Times, Friday, July 13, 1934]
Walpole cuts ribbon on New Library Building
[Walpole Times, 2012]
Walpole Times Photos: Tour of the new library
[Walpole Times, 2012]
- July 15, 1876: The Walpole Public Library opens at Frank O. Pillsbury's pharmacy. Mr. Pillsbury is hired as Librarian.
- September 26, 1881: The Walpole Public Library moves to "comodius and beautiful rooms in the Town Hall building."
- 1889 Annual Report: Deposit Books sent to Bird & Son, East Walpole.
- May 14, 1903: The Walpole Public Library opens at its new location on 65 Common St.
- October, 1903: Library opens South Walpole deposit station at Mr. Amos L. Hamilton's store.
- October/November 1906: The library opens a branch library in East Walpole after securing the "use of rooms at the Wednesday Club."
- Spring, 1914: North Walpole deposit station begins at the Fisher School.
- April, 1914: East Walpole branch is moved from the Wednesday Club house to the Triangle Building at Bird & Son.
- February 18, 1915: South Walpole deposit station moves to the new Community House.
- December 11, 1924: The South Walpole deposit station moves to the new South Fire Station on Summer Street.
- July 7, 1925: The North Branch Library opens "in a basement room at Fisher School."
- June 27, 1934: East Walpole Branch moves to "the former Church and Wednesday Club at the corner of Walcott Avenue and Union Street."
- 1953 Annual Report: South Walpole deposit station closes.
- 1970 Annual Report: Addition to the library completed and accepted by the town at the March 16, 1970 Town Meeting.
- May 16, 1981: The North Branch Library closes, when the Old Fisher School is sold by the Town.
- February 4, 1982: East Walpole Branch officially closes.
- February 29, 2012: The Walpole Public Library opens at its new location at 143 School St.